Niles District Library weekly updatePublished 4:20pm Thursday, December 13, 2012
Niles District Library
This week’s read
In the conclusion to Becca Fitzpatrick’s “Hush, Hush” saga, “Finale,” Nora faces new challenges in her relationship with Patch and needs to decide where her loyalties lie.
In her new position as leader of the Nephilim army, a relationship with a fallen angel, especially as Cheshvan is quickly approaching, is not helping her fit in with her new Nephilim family.
So Nora and Patch engage in a clandestine relationship. Not only is Nora’s supernatural social spiraling out of control, but her human life as well. Vee, her best friend, is keeping secrets — big ones — and her former enemy and new half-sister, Marcie, is invading in her personal life — in a big way.
During the last 80 pages, readers will be wondering how Fitzpatrick will tie everything up and manage to give them the answers they want. Her writing seems a little rushed, but she gives her audience the finale they are hoping for and an unexpected, but welcome ending. After facing hardships, dealing with betrayal, loss and otherworldly politics, the characters get an ending that will have readers reeling, but happy with the fates of Nora and her friends.
Bored week takes place from Jan. 2 to Jan. 5. Events include “I Spy” in the library all week, glitter slime, an Apples to Apples — Kids Edition tournament, a Zingo event, Lego Free build, a Dance Central competition, a showing of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days” (with free popcorn), flashlight tag, Minute to Win It and a “Mario Kart” tournament. With each event, there are opportunities to win prizes, including games, gift cards and prize packs. For more information, check out www.nileslibrary.com
• 1 p.m. Dec. 22: The Niles Area Community Orchestra will be performing excerpts from its recent concert, “Christmas, Niles Style.” The performance will take place at 1 p.m. in the Rotunda.
• Registration for winter computer classes has started This new session includes classes on Pinterest and Facebook. Classes begin on Jan. 8. For more information, or to register, stop by the computer lab or call (269) 683-8545, ext. 119.
• Jan. 12: “A Call of Duty: Black Ops II” tournament will take place for adults ages 18 and older. Prizes include GameStop gift cards. Registration is required, and spots are limited. Call the Information Desk at (269) 683-8545 ext. 116.
Other library news
• NDL is offering a free class that will train participants in the basics of being a library page. Class participants will learn about the Dewey Decimal system and the rules most libraries use for alphabetizing and organizing materials. The class is open to seniors in high school to senior citizens and everyone in between. See the library’s website for detailed information or to sign up. Space is limited.
• In observance of upcoming holidays, the Niles District Library will be closed Dec. 24 through Jan. 1. Usual hours resume Jan. 2.
Tags: Niles District Library