Niles District Library eventsPublished 10:32am Tuesday, December 4, 2012
This week’s read
The final installment in Ally Condie’s Matched trilogy, “Reached,” is just what readers of the popular dystopian romance have been waiting for. Condie’s prose is almost poetic as she guides readers through the final trials of Cassia, Ky and Xander in their quest to gain what the Society has never given them: choice. Cassia’s journey began with a glitch, a brief flash of a face she was never supposed to see, never to imagine she could love, provided she was given a choice. That glitch became a journey through canyons and back into the Society. Things are different now, what once was quiet insurgency has now become complete rebellion. The three adventurers face an epidemic, question loyalties and seemingly insurmountable challenges in the trilogy’s conclusion. There are a few questions left unanswered, but nothing that draws away from the overall ending of the series. Condie has done a phenomenal job in crafting this series and will leave readers satisfied with the fates of Ky, Cassia and Xander.
• 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday: A teen Hobbit event in the community room features games, crafts and food. Registration required for this after-hours event. to attend.
• 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday: Legos @ the Library meets in the community room. Legos is for children ages 9 to 14 and requires initial sign-up. Registration required.
• 1 p.m. Saturday: The Jr. Garden Club will make fresh evergreen wreaths. Initial registration is required to attend the club.
• 3 p.m. Saturday: Join a reading of the “Polar Express,” crafts, hot cocoa and a viewing of the movie in the storytime room.
• 6:30 p.m. Dec. 11: Evening family story time includes stories, songs and a craft. December’s theme is “White.”
Register for events by calling (269) 683-8545 ext. 106 or stop by the Youth Services Desk.
• Dec. 15: The Gingerbread House Contest takes place in the popular materials area. Drop off your gingerbread creations between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Judging will begin at 4:30 p.m. All ages are welcome to submit.
• 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 15: The St. Mark’s Liturgical Choir will perform in the rotunda.
• 1 p.m. Dec. 22: The Niles Area Community Orchestra will perform selections from its recent concert, Christmas, Niles Style.
Tags: Niles District Library