Patchwork performance opens Sept. 27Published 2:37pm Thursday, September 13, 2012
The cast of the musical “Quilters,” from Barnswallow Theatre, entertained visitors to the quilt open house at the Edwardsburg Historical Museum Show Sunday. Directed by Randi Pickley, they sang and danced numbers from the show. “Quilters” will be performed at the Barnswallow Theatre Sept. 27, 28, 29 and 30.
The museum has more than 30 quilts on display that were loaned by Edwardsburg residents. The display will end Oct. 24.
One of the most unusual quilts was made by Mary Thompson in 1812 and owned by Edward Gardner. The pattern is called “Candlewick.” Mary grew the flax, made the linen and thread and made the quilt at age 17.
The Smith’s Chapel quilt has names and pictures of church members on the quilt and was made in the 1950s.
A quilt from the Kessington and Adamsville area was made between 1921 and 1924. It is called a “Community Quilt,” and is embroidered with names from Kessington and Adamsville. The quilt was passed down from Ethel Harper Collins to Alice Collins Freimund, and then to Charles Freimund, of Union.
Perhaps Sandy Click Blanchard sent the most unusual quilt to the museum. On each block of the quilt are names written on the 16 flower petals, and four names on the flower center. On the vertical and horizontal strips a name is written between the stitching. There are a total of 667 names on the quilt, which was made in 1891. A donation of 10 cents was required to have your name put on the quilt. The money was used to start building the Edwardsburg Methodist Church.