Support candidates looking out for everyone’s interestPublished 11:28pm Wednesday, July 25, 2012
To the editor:
We are longtime residents of Keeler Township.
I am an agricultural equipment repair business owner and my wife is a registered nurse for Lakeland Homecare.
For our jobs, we travel throughout Keeler Township and have noticed a much greater ambulance presence since Pride Care started services. To date all requirements, response times and certifications have been met.
The ambulance service, although very important, is only approximately 10 percent of the township budget. What about the other 90 percent of township business the supervisor/board have to conduct?
Is that business being taken care of properly? Too much ambulance-chasing, Mr. True?
Township residents please look at the positive things the former board members and Bill Kays, with his 27 years of service with Keeler Township, have accomplished:
• Paving of the roads in Sister Lakes.
• Funds set aside for emergency and future major road repairs without needing additional millage.
• Negotiated lower bond rates for Sewer Authority, which saved the township $1.2 million in interest.
• Maintained a positive general fund balance in tough times. The 2011 auditor report from Plante and Moran stated that the township is making sound decisions and the general fund balance is very good.
• Pioneered police protection via contract with Van Buren County Sheriff to relieve the township of liabilities and insurance costs.
• Made contract to pay not less than $10,000 to Sister Lakes Fire Department annually.
We believe that they were always looking out for everyone’s best interests. Please don’t be misled with the scare tactics and misinformation being spread by Joe True and some of his supporters.
Check the issues out for yourself and then decide for yourself.
Vote Aug. 7 for Kays, Davis, Landis, and Sexton for proven results, experience and competency.
Jake and Drenda Meachum