Niles City Council news in brief: 7-23Published 10:19pm Monday, July 23, 2012
• Scheduled a public hearing for 5:50 p.m. Aug. 13 to solicit citizen input from residents about the proposed FY2013 city budget.
• Approved a utilities department request to accept the $9,180 bid from TEAM MJV of Lafeyette, Ind., for a two-year contract for janitorial services for the utilities service center. Nine companies were contacted.
• Approved a request to accept a $9,953.74 bid from Superior Exteriors of Niles to replace the wastewater treatment plant office roof.
• Approved the $6,664.28 emergency purchase of an incubator and a laboratory refrigerator for the wastewater treatment plant from Thomas Scientific of Swedesboro, N.J.
• Granted a request from Four Flags Area Crop Walk to hold its 32nd annual event in Niles from 2:30 to 6 p.m. on Sept. 23 to raise funds to fight hunger.
• Approved a request from Hills Corners Bible Baptist Church of Buchanan to conduct puppet shows for children in Riverfront Park Monday-Thursday, July 30-Aug. 2, from 7 to 8:15 p.m.
• Allowed Niles High School Athletic Department to conduct a tennis tournament in Plym Park from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 15.
• Approved a request from Main Street/DDA to have a community thank you cookout in Riverfront Park near the playground area from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 10.
• Let Riverfront Cafe temporarily close Sycamore Street from Front Street to the east a distance of 66 feet from Thursday, Aug. 2, through Sunday, Aug. 5, to extend patio seating during Riverfest.
• Approved a banner promoting Fort St. Joseph’s archaeological open house Aug. 11-12 to hang starting July 30 at Main and Second streets.
Tags: Niles City Council