Volunteer Southwest Michigan: Step on board maritime museumPublished 10:04pm Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Spotlight of the week
The retail ambassador at the Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven plays many roles. Duties include answering the phone, selling and managing tickets for the tall ship Friends of Good Will and the river launch Lindy Lou, answering questions about the museum and the South Haven area, selling gift shop items and handling admissions. This position is rewarding in many ways, including meeting new people and working with other volunteers and staff who enjoy the same activities.
• Do you have a team of people who would like to volunteer together or sponsor a project on Oct. 27 for Make a Difference Day – the largest national day of service?
Projects are being planned or add a project to the list. Contact Sharon at Volunteer Southwest Michigan for more information.
• Who doesn’t like lunch? The Lunch Bunch volunteers provide a fellowship opportunity for individuals from all walks of life Whether planning a menu, preparing a meal or pouring drinks, be sure someone will be uplifted and encouraged by your service. Lunch is served every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the Niles Salvation Army.
• Are you looking for a volunteer position in a friendly office environment? The receptionist for the American Red Cross office in St. Joseph greets customers, answers the phone and helps with filing and general office work.
• Consider helping nonprofit with fundraising. Think about a cause you care about then contact the Volunteer Center or visit www.volunteerswmi.org to pick an organization with a mission that matches your passion.
American Red Cross of West Michigan
• 1 to 7 p.m. Monday: Woodland Shores Baptist Church, 3555 Shawnee Rd., Bridgman.
For a complete listing and to schedule an appointment, visit www.redcross.org.
• 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. July 30: First United Methodist Church, 2710 Cleveland Ave., St. Joseph
For a complete listing visit www.miblood.org.
• Support the Benton Harbor/St. Joe YMCA work by volunteering to help at the Chemical Bank Race for YMCA from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Help with the race course, cheer on runners/walkers, hold signs and distribute water. Great volunteer opportunity for families and friends.
• Volunteer at Gus Macker event July 28 at South Beach in South Haven. Help support youth as a score keeper or in setting up and tearing down.
• Big Bear Auction Company is hosting a summer festival on Aug. 25 in Eau Claire with a portion of the proceeds going to support the Berrien County Council for Children. Volunteers will help with parking, judging contests (pie eating, bakeoff, chili cook-off), as well as organizing and handing out paperwork for the car and motorcycle show.
Volunteer Southwest Michigan is offering Youth Summer Serve 2012. Volunteer for 40 hours over the summer and be officially recognized. Just let us know where and how many hours you are volunteering by becoming a member at www.volunteerswmi.org and reporting your hours. For assistance, contact Callie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join United Way in organizing supplies, packing backpacks and distributing backpacks on Aug. 14, Aug. 17-18 to families in need in Cass County.
Individuals, groups and families with children older than 8 are welcome to help one day or all three days.
In cooperation with Volunteer Southwest Michigan, we are pleased to publish opportunities for volunteers each week. To inquire about these opportunities or to make an appointment, call 983-0912 in the St. Joseph-Benton Harbor area, 683-5464 in the Niles area; visit www.volunteerswmi.org; or send email to email@example.com for further information. Appointments do not constitute an obligation to accept a volunteer opportunity. The center is a United Way agency affiliated with the HandsOn Network.