Volunteer Southwest Michigan: Paw Paw garden needs helpPublished 11:01pm Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Spotlight of the week
• Van Buren Intermediate School District has a gardening project in Paw Paw. Individuals of all ages and abilities are welcome as well as groups. Prepare soil, put in stakes for tomatoes and weed. Come learn about community gardens and why they are important by volunteering once. If you like it, take the option of becoming a regular volunteer.
• Community AIDS Resource and Education Services (CARES) needs transport volunteers to assist clients with rides to medical appointments in Berrien, Cass and Van Buren counties Monday through Friday (flexible times).
• On June 9, more than 1,000 people will gather for the Annual Heartland Alliance Home and Garden Tour.
This event draws people from all over and features some of Harbor Country’s most beautiful homes and landscapes.
This event benefits struggling families in Benton Harbor, Chicago and around the world. As a docent volunteer at a home. welcome and manage guests or be assigned to help at the lunch or after-party. Volunteers will receive a free ticket to go on the tour before or after their shifts — a $100 value.
• Volunteer are needed as receptionists at the local offices of the American Red Cross. Volunteers will answer phones, greet visitors and help with general office work.
There are openings at the Van Buren County office in Hartford and at the Berrien County office in St. Joseph.
• Work on the boat at Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven or help out on land. Volunteer docents interpret at the museum and tall ship Good Will.
Good communication skills are needed as well as the ability to work indpendently. Expect to participate in regular training.
During the summer the Museum is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
American Red Cross of Michigan
n Monday — Lake Michigan Catholic High School, 915 Pleasant St., St. Joseph: noon to 6 p.m.
• June 7 – First Church of God youth group, Fellowship Hall, 2627 Niles, Avenue, St. Joseph: 2 to 7 p.m.
• June 9 – Salem Lutheran church, Fellowship Hall, 275 Marvin, Coloma: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Adults and youth
Volunteer as a carousel assistant at Silver Beach in St. Joseph.
Help riders enter through the turnstile, make sure riders observe the safety rules, help riders mount and dismount figures and answer questions about the carousel. Minimum age is 16.
Join other Chikaming Open Lands volunteers for clean-up days at Grand Beach Marsh in Grand Beach, New Buffalo. Tasks include invasive species identification and elimination. Help once a year or get involved on a regular basis.
Wear long pants, long sleeves and bring gardening gloves. Do you have loppers? If so, bring them.
The Volunteer Southwest Michigan is offering Youth Summer Serve 2012. Volunteer for 40 hours over the summer and receive recognition.
It looks great on job and college applications.
Contact Callie today at firstname.lastname@example.org and find the summer volunteer position that fits your interests, schedule and transportation situation.
In cooperation with Volunteer Southwest Michigan, we are pleased to publish opportunities for volunteers each week. To inquire about these opportunities or to make an appointment, call 983-0912 in the St. Joseph-Benton Harbor area, 683-5464 in the Niles area; visit www.volunteerswmi.org; or send email to email@example.com for further information. Appointments do not constitute an obligation to accept a volunteer opportunity. The center is a United Way agency affiliated with the HandsOn Network.