New women’s expo June 30Published 3:12pm Monday, May 28, 2012
A new event in downtown Niles is aimed at showcasing what the area has to offer women.
The First Annual Women’s Expo, “A Day on Main Street,” will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 30 in the 200 block of Main. The street will be closed to traffic, and the public is invited to visit vendors, listen to live music, watch demonstrations and take in a style show. Admission is free.
Christine Hoffman, owner of Niles Styles, said the idea came to fruition after about 100 women attended her style show last summer. Local businesses jumped aboard when she pitched the idea of a downtown expo.
“Already, I’ve seen a respectable response for the first year,” Hoffman said.
Vendors will include agencies, shops and services. Sponsors include Bella’s, Colorful Stitches, Michiana Recycling and Disposal Services, The Paris and It Works, and sponsors Lakeland HealthCare, Olfactory Hue Bistro, Niles-Buchanan YMCA and Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve will have booths.
The “Orange You Glad You’re Here” Style Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Models will wear Niles Styles fashions and Bella’s accessories. Hoffman said the show theme — as the name implies — features the “colors of the year” — tangerine and orange.
Downtown Niles has hosted successful one-day summer events like the Bring It cruise-ins and Niles Burn Run.
“Now we’re going to have something for the ladies,” Hoffman said.
Vendor registrations will be accepted until June 15. Home-based businesses must have a homeowner’s insurance policy to participate. Call Christine Hoffman at 684-8484.
‘A Day on Main Street’ schedule
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Main Street closed to traffic for expo
• 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. — Jazzercise with Beverly Manuel, Jazzercise Niles
• 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — “Orange You Glad You’re Here” Style Show
• 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. — Live music (to be announced)
• 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. — Culinary demonstration by Chef Daysha Amster, Olfactory Hue Bistro
• 2:30 to 3 p.m. — Zumba demo with Lacey Peters, Lace Dance Studio
• 3 to 4 p.m. — Live music (to be announced)