City reclassifies positionsPublished 8:59am Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Dowagiac City Council Monday night amended the city’s non-union classification and compensation system effective Aug. 24 to reflect restructuring done this summer.
The resolution addresses the establishment of a public works operations superintendent, Matt Stack, and various customer service positions.
“It also addresses a variety of housekeeping issues related to positions that are no longer part of the organizational structure,” according to City Manager Kevin Anderson.
Established are these positions:
• Customer Services Representative Grade 2
• Customer Services Administrative Assistant Grade 5
• Customer Services Accounting Assistant Grade 5
• Customer Services Supervisor Grade 6
• Public Works Operations Superintendent Grade 8
At the same time the council removed these positions:
• Account Clerk Grade 2
• Deputy Clerk/Receptionist Grade 2
• Utilities Clerk Grade 2
• DPS Office Assistant Grade 3
• Utilities Office Manager Grade 4
• Building and Assessing Office Manager Grade 4
• Finance Office Manager Grade 5
• DPS Office Manager Grade 5
• Assistant Finance Director Grade 6
• Assistant Director of Public Services Grade 8
• Police Lieutenant Grade 9
• Economic Development Director Grade 7
• Fire Chief Grade 10
• Police Chief Grade 10.
Police and fire chief were combined into public services director.
Third Ward Councilman Dr. Charles Burling made the motion, supported by Third Ward Councilman Leon Laylin to approve Anderson’s recommendation.